0161 451 0136

0161 451 0136

Latest News

Pros & Cons on Home Security Systems for new homes

Moving home can be daunting, what with the cleaning, organising, packing, shipping and unloading, but what’s more, there’s always the slight uncertainty and added stress of not knowing the area and the level of crime you might come across. So if you’ve been researching whether or not it’s worth kitting out your new home with a full security system, read on to find out whether it’s worth the money.


Pros for installing a security system into your brand new home

  • Home security systems are an effective deterrent against criminals, and studies have shown that 60% of burglars would be put off by an alarm system and the other 40% would likely be captured on CCTV.
  • Your CCTV system can provide you with great evidence that could help you identify criminals after a break-in, retrieve any stolen goods and make a claim on your insurance. Having footage of the criminal will not only help you but will benefit your area too because the chances are highly that the person will get caught, making the streets safer.  
  • Installing CCTV might seem like a costly thing to do but this will in fact help make Insurance deductions – which can make securing your home even more appealing. This will help to play a significant part on the amount you will have to pay when it comes to your insurance policy because your property is less likely to be damaged or broken in to. By reducing the likelihood of making a claim, your insurance provider will reduce their costs to match.
  • There are a variety of cameras that are suitable to most budgets – you needn’t have top-of-the-range equipment to ensure you reap the benefits of CCTV. Once you’ve installed a camera on the exterior of your home, it’ll work as a visual deterrent, particularly to premeditated crimes. Having a security system fixed will increase the safety of your family and your home.
  • Some CCTV systems allow remote access, which means you can check your home while you’re on the go. If you’re away on holiday for an extended period of time, this can help to ease any nerves and give you the power to fully relax and unwind.  
  • Night vision capabilities – but did you know… most burglaries take place during the daytime, commonly between 10am and 3pm. You might be asking why? That’s because most people are out at work during this time, which makes it likely that your neighbours are out too.

A few home security tips:
Be careful when opening the door to strangers, most criminals will knock on your door first to see if they get an answer. Usually if you answer they will think twice about the break-in but on occasion intruders have forced their way into homes. Statistics show that 34% of criminals will use your front door to break-in and this number includes forced entry.

– CCTV systems will scare criminals and make them reconsider their planned break-ins.

– Install an alarm every day when you leave and be sure to keep your pin code safe, avoid writing it down so intruders aren’t able to find it.

– Install motion sensor lights outside, they will help your CCTV pick up a better quality image, plus the light might deter the criminal too.

– Never leave expensive equipment or tools outside of your home, intruders could use them to break-in and or take them too.

– Always lock your windows and doors and keep the key hidden, not on the shelf by the window. Criminals could smash the corner of the window and grab the key to let themselves in.


Cons for installing a security system into your brand new home

  • CCTV is not completely foolproof; sometimes you can experience technical glitches and system reboots.
  • CCTV does require semi-regular professional maintenance.
  • Your CCTV can record so many places and there will be blind spots.


If you haven’t the space in your new home or you’re worried about security, turn to your local storage who can offer you safe and secure storage solutions whilst you settle in.


Rylands Removals have been making moving home a stress-free process for customers for years. We take the utmost care when transporting your goods and our dedicated team are always happy to answer any queries. We are flexible to all needs and whatever it is you have in mind we will tailor our services to fit around you. For more information about who we are, what we do or to book in removals or storage – call today. We operate throughout Manchester and nationwide.